Proverbs: Wisdom for Friends
The most important relationships that a person has in life are the friendships that a person chooses. Therefore we need wisdom for friendships. In this sermon Pastor Byron will walk through the theme of friendship in Proverbs by showing three types of friends: foolish friends, wise friends, and our truest friend.
SCRIPTURES FOR THE WEEK
Proverbs 13:20, John 15:13-15, Various Scriptures (see notes)
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
Take 5 minutes to silently read over the section of scriptures to gather insight, questions, or discussion with the group before answering the questions.
QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
1. How many friends do you have? Why do you think it becomes more difficult as an adult to maintain friendships? Discuss.
2. Have you ever considered the Bible as a book about friendship? As a group walk through the story of the Bible and discuss the theme of friendship from Genesis to Revelation. How does this change the way you view friendship in your life?
3. Proverbs speaks a lot about staying away from foolish friends. Which of the foolish friends do you gravitate towards? How have you been a foolish friend to others?
4. Proverbs also gives us a lot of wisdom for choosing friends. Why are wise friends necessary? Which aspect of friendship do you find most important. Which aspect do you struggle with the most?
5. In John 15:13-15 Jesus refers to his disciples as friends. Is it difficult for you to think of Jesus as a friend? How does friendship with Jesus give you wisdom for life?
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK
This week your challenge is to plan an outing as a Community Group on a night other than your normal night. The goal of this outing is to work on the friendship within the group. There is no agenda other than building relationship and having a good time. Come back next week over dinner ready to discuss how this challenge has opened you up to go deeper in our studies.
NEXT WEEK: WISDOM FOR WOMEN
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. – Proverbs 31:30