Mark #36 : Jesus Gets Real
When was the last time you heard a sermon over hell? Hell is not a subject that is taught over often in the church. However, Jesus teaches over hell more than anyone else in the Bible. In this sermon Pastor Byron continues our study in Mark: The Simple Gospel by showing us that we all have a choice to make. We can choose to life or death. We can choose heaven or hell. We can choose the world, or we can choose Jesus, but everyone makes a choice. It is our prayer that this sermon would be a blessing and encouraging to you.
SCRIPTURE FOR THE WEEK:
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED:
Take 5 minutes to silently read over the section of scripture to gather insight, questions, or discussion with the group before answering the questions.
1. Does is surprise you that Jesus speaks so bluntly about hell? What have you been taught about hell? What are your current beliefs? How do they compare to Jesus’ teachings? List the description given in this text.
2. In verse 42 Jesus takes a strong stance against sin. Why is Jesus’ view of sin so severe? Do you see sin the way Jesus does?
3. What does Jesus mean when he says if your hand, foot, or eyes causes you to sin, you should cut it off? What is the lesson we should learn in our own life?
4. Should hell serve as a motivation for repentance?
5. What does “salted with fire” mean? How do the fiery trials of this life prepare us for the glory in the one to come?
This week your challenge is meet up for a one-on-one with someone in the group that you have grown close with. In this one-on-one open up and share an area of your life that you experience deep struggle, temptation, and doubt. Then have them pray over you. In the safest way possible, share with the group how this challenge encouraged you throughout the week.