Mark #33 : Jesus The Christ
Who is Jesus? That is the most important question that you will ever ask yourself. Is Jesus merely a teacher, a leader, a good man, or is He something more? In this sermon Pastor Byron continues our series Simple Gospel: A Study in the Book of Mark, as Jesus reveals that He is the Christ and how we are to respond.
SCRIPTURE FOR THE WEEK:
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED:
Take 5 minutes to silently read over the section of scripture to gather insight, questions, or discussion with the group before answering the questions.
1. Jesus asks the question to his disciples “who do you say that I am?” While they get the answer right, they still don’t fully understand. How is the Christian life one of gradual revelation and continual growth? Discuss your experience.
2. Do you ever find yourself like Peter, setting your mind on the things of man instead of the things of God? What does Jesus’ rebuke teach you about discipleship?
3. What are your thoughts on Jesus’ cost of discipleship? Do you see this type of devotion in the church? Discuss.
4. How does the world teach you to live a self-centered life? Compare that Jesus’ teaching about denying yourself and following him. What are some ways that we are to carry our cross?
5. Do you ever find yourself ashamed of Jesus or being a Christian? How does the cost of discipleship outweigh the cost of disobedience?
This week’s challenge is to take a personal inventory of the things in your life that are preventing you from following Jesus at all costs. Make a list of the hindrances in your life and what steps you would need to take to lay them down, pick up your cross, and follow Jesus. Come ready to discuss next week at dinner.