Mark #3: Jesus’ Baptism
John the Baptist preached a message of repentance while baptizing others for the forgiveness of sins; then Jesus came to him to be baptized. Jesus was without sin and had no need to be forgiven so why was Jesus baptized? To set an example for righteousness for all that follow him. In this sermon Pastor Byron shows us how Jesus’ baptism sets the pattern for God’s people.
SCRIPTURE FOR THE WEEK:
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED:
Take 5 minutes to silently read over the section of scripture to gather insight, questions, or discussion with the group before answering the questions.
1. What is the purpose of baptism? Why is it essential for the Christian life?
2. Why was Jesus baptized? How does this set the example for following him?
3. What does Jesus’ baptism teach us about the Trinity?
4. What are the implications of the Holy Spirit on Jesus’ life? What are the implications of the Holy Spirit on your life?
5. Notice that the Father was pleased with Jesus before he ever preached or performed a miracle. How does knowing God’s pleasure doesn’t depend on your performance affect your Christian life?
Have you followed Jesus in baptism? If so tell your story about how that moment has shaped your Christian life. If not visit www.redemptiontx.com/baptism to sign up for our next Baptism Sunday.